La Caja China
La Caja China is a great cooker. It holds the heat really well. Its a basic idea of put the heat into the top of the grill and insulate the chamber with wood. It works great. It did 3 Boston Butts in 3 hours at a cook I was at. The burn plate will come off the cooker so you can clean out the cooker mid cook. The Caja China has a unique cooking power that other cookers just don’t have. It seems to make the heat more intense on the food being cooked without burning it. You can cook anything inside the cooker. Its low priced and is cheap to run. If you keep it in a garage or building it will last forever!
Whole Pig Worksheet
|1. Place the pig between the two racks. Make sure you do not cut or poke holes on the skin side.||2. Use the 4 S-Hooks to hold the pig between the two racks, make sure the racks handle are facing away from the pig.|
|3. Place the Drip Pan inside the box.||4. Place the pig inside the box, ribs up.|
|5. Place Ash Pan, to cover the box.||6. Place Charcoal Grid on top of the Ash Pan.|
|7. Add first batch of Charcoal on top of the Charcoal Grid. You can use self igniting charcoal on the first batch only||7a. If using this type of charcoal, spread the charcoal then lit. This way you will have a more even heat inside the box.|
|8. Light the charcoal.||9. Once lit spread the charcoal evenly over the Charcoal Grid, the cooking time starts right now, add more charcoal after the hour, you will add 3 more batches of charcoal in the following manner. 1 Hour, 1 Hour, 30 Minutes.|
|10. After the 3rd Hour, remove the ashes by lifting and shaking the charcoal grid.||11. Place the Charcoal Grid on top of the long Handles.|
|12. Now flip the pig over, to crispy the skin of the pig. This is easily done using our Patented Rack System, just grab the end of the Rack lift and slide as you pull upward.||13. Using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.|
|13b. Using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.||14. Score the skin using a knife, this helps to remove the fat and crispy the skin.|
|15. Cover the roasting box again with the Ash Pan and Charcoal Grid, do not add any more charcoal at this time.||16. After 30 minutes, take a peak by lift the Charcoal Pan by one end only. You will continue doing this every 10 minutes until the skin is crispy to your liking.|
Lamb Roast Worksheet
1. Place Lamb between the racks and tie using the 4 S- Hooks.
2. Place Lamb inside the box Ribs side down, connect the wired thermometer probe on the leg, be careful not to touch the bone.
3. Cover box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
5. Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid.
6. Cooking time starts right now _________________ (write down)
7. After 1 hour (1st hour) open the box flip the Lamb over (ribs up) close the box and add 9 lbs. of charcoal.
8. After 1 hour (2nd hour) add 9 lbs. of charcoal.
9. Do not add any more charcoal; continue cooking the meat until you reach the desired temperature reading on the thermometer.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT OPEN THE BOX UNTIL YOU REACH THE DESIRED TEMPERATURE
Roberto Guerra’s Lamb Roast Recipe
(48lb Lamb on the SP-300)
1. Mix some olive oil and salt and rub the back of the lamb (this is to help searing the meat to contain the juices) do this before placing the lamb in the box.
2. Add one gallon of water, 2 cups of white wine and whatever spices you use to marinade the lamb in to the drip tray.
3. Place the lamb ribs down inside the box. S
4. Start with 16 lbs of charcoal, make sure to make two piles (one on each end) once lit spread evenly, roast for one hour, you will now open the box flip it over and connect the probe of the wired meat thermometer in to the rear leg (make sure is on the center not touching the bone) close the box and add 7 – 8 lbs of charcoal every hour until you reach your desired temperature.
5. It should take you 2.5 to 3 hours, it depends on the temperature of the meat before you start cooking, the colder the longer it takes to roast.
Here are the temperatures for lamb; Well Done 170, Medium 160, Medium Rare 145, Rare 140
6. After the lamb is cooked, remove the drippings from the drip tray and mix it with some wine in a pot and reduced a bit to create the best sauce you have ever tasted.