[tubepress mode=”playlist” playlistValue=”U4c5ejcL9t2gDCL-mq562WbumfDz9fLY” thumbHeight=”80″ thumbWidth=”120″ orderBy=”position” embeddedHeight=”340″ embeddedWidth=”550″ autoshowInfo=”false” showRelated=”false]Going Whole Hog Smoking
Cooking a GoingWhole Hog is the hardest thing to do in BBQ.
What does mean Whole Hog Smoking?
There are 5 main parts of a Whole Hog. The Shoulders that consist of The Picnic and the Butt. The Hams which are the two back legs. The Loins going down the backbone. The Ribs down both sides of the belly. The Skin which is a pivotal part of the Hog.
- First you have to pick out a quality Whole Hog. I’d have to say from my point of view Smithfield is the highest quality Whole Hog. I’ve never seen a Whole Hog that I didn’t like Smithfield has in stock. Berkshire hogs weight as much 700 pounds. Some claims have been that they have more Omega Oils and are healthier. Local Butcher sometimes have some high quality hogs.
- Brine your hog. What does it take to brine a hog. Well word is they are doing that now. I’m sure its submerging it in a salt brine over night to get it ready for cooking.
- Its all about the Membranes. Pulling membranes back so rub can attach to the pork is king. Stripping back the hams, shoulders, and taking the membrane off the back of the ribs is still important. Stripping down into loins is done some so flavoring can get around the loins.
- Some cooks like to put French’s Mustard all over the inside of a hog as a binding agent to help the rub stick to the hog.
- Protecting the lions so they won’t dry out is key. How do you protect those loins. Some people will put a leather cloth over them. I have seen some of the back bones and loins loaded down with butter. Packed with sausage over the loins, then bacon put over the top of all that. Here is a picture of exactly that butter, sausage, bacon on the top.
- Injection, There has been a lot of different things used to inject a hog. I say try Sweet Smoke Q Pork Injection. Go to Pit Bulls Up in Smoke and get in contact with Danny Coogle to find out what to inject with! Sprite as a base has been done quite often with whole hog. Sprite mixed with something else like Sweek Smoke Q injection. Don’t try to inject through the outside skin always inject from inside the hog. Pull the skin back on the hams and shoulders inject, rub those parts before you pull the skin back. Some people will pull the skin back and leave it back for the cook.
- The whole key is to keep it in a wet environment to keep it moist. Then to protect loins from drying out. Some people put butter down the inside of the back bone, put sausage over the butter, put bacon over the sausage in a 3 piece stack. Rub under the butter, rub over the 3 piece stack instills a lot of flavor.
- Keeping the ribs from burning is difficult. Cook the hog at 250 for about 1 hour per 12 pounds.
- Cover the Hogs face and tail to keep it from burning.
- Rub down the hogs skin with Peanut Oil to get that deep red color.
- After the hog cooks for an hour put tin foil on the ears and front of the face. Also put tin foil on the tail so they won’t get darker or burn.
- Working the pit is important. Hogs should be cooked at 250 degrees or less. To get the temperature higher the hog is going to get dried out or burned up. Low and slow is the key to whole hog. Its an all night thing. Myron Mixon’s new cooker line is ideal for cooking whole hog.
- Cook it till the hams and shoulders are 190 degrees. It will be one by then.
- BBQSuperStars Cutlery Sales
- Frederich Dick Premier Series Knives
- Freiderich Dick Premier EURASIA Series
- Freiderich Dick 1905 Series
- Victorinox Cutlery
- Glestain Cutlery Best in the Business
- Nenox – Nenohi G Series
All about Grills on BBQSuperStars
- Insulated Cookers
- Off Set Cookers
- Pellet Grills
- Gas Grills
- Komado Grills/Porcelain
- Myon Mixon Smokers
- Large Animal Rotisseries
These two guy may be the best whole hog cookers in the world! How many have they cooked its hard to tell! Hell Yeah!
Going Whole Hog Smoking
The tank on the 1/2 gallon Chops Power Injector holds up to a 1/2 Gallon of your favorite injection fluid. It has FOUR large bore needles spaced out at the perfect distance.Out of the box you will find the Injector fully assembled all you have to do is clean it with HOT soapy water and bleach. Then flush it with clean hot water until all the soap and bleach is gone! (Make sure you do this before and after EACH use)When your ready to inject, fill your injector at least a 1/4 full with your injection, pump up, and pull the trigger! You will notice whatever you are injecting will quickly start to expand as if you are filling a football with air!!! That’s POWER!
Chops Power Injector
Injecting your BBQ is important. It makes a difference. Citric Fruit Juice contains ascorbic acid that will help break down the collagen. Inject everything, it will build the flavor.